Derived from homeo (similar) and pathy (disease), Homeopathy is based on the idea that substances causing specific symptoms in a healthy person can cure these symptoms in someone who is sick.
Homeopathy is used by millions of people around the world. In Africa, England, France, Germany, Holland, India, Pakistan, Israel, Italy, and South America, hundreds of thousands of medical doctors treat with homeopathy on a daily basis. Over 5 million Americans visit homeopaths each year.
History of Homeopathy
Although the use of homoeopathy dates back to the time of the ancient Greeks and was written about by the Father of Medicine, Hippocrates, it wasn't until the eighteenth century that a German physician, Dr Samuel Hahnemann, rediscovered the principles of homoeopathy. He developed a method of preparing remedies by diluting small quantities of herbs, minerals, and animal extracts in a water-alcohol solution. The results convinced him that using increasingly smaller amounts of a substance in dilution not only eliminated unwanted side effects but actually boosted the remedy’s potency.
How Does Homeopathy Work?
When we are ill it is as if the body has gone out of balance. The symptoms that the illness produces, such as a raised temperature or a rash are indicators that the body is using all its strength and vitality to fight the illness and get itself back to normal health. When we take a homoeopathic medicine to help in treating the illness we are taking a substance that can produce symptoms similar to those of the illness. That is, it imitates the effects of the illness and by doing so it adds to this fighting ability of the patient to combat the illness.
Treatment is very individualized and addresses the whole person; the mental, emotional and physical aspects of a human being. As each person is truly unique, the same remedy, diet, or even the same general advice will not necessarily help everyone with the same ailment.
Remedies come in a variety of forms, including tablets, powders, wafers, and liquids in an alcohol base. Recently, over the counter combination remedies have become available for common ailments. Choosing the correct remedy is a highly systematized method based on accurate information received about the entire person, including temperament, heredity, emotional & physical responses to their environment, and more.
Homeopathy not only offers fast relief from temporary disorders, but can provide deep healing of a person suffering from a chronic condition, whether of a physical, emotional or mental nature.
For an acute ailment, you should usually see results within 24-48 hours, remaining in contact with your homeopath during this period. Treating constitutionally or chronic ailments, follow-ups are generally on a monthly basis. Follow-ups are very important to evaluate your progress and determine when and if a new remedy or potency is required. Without interference, remedies can act over a period of up to several months.
Some Conditions Homeopathy Can Treat:
- First Aid: Shock, Trauma, Sprains, Punctures, Bites, Breaks, Cuts, Bruises, Burns
- Acute Conditions: Pain, Headaches, Colds, Flu, Sore throat, Coughs, Fever, Vaccine Reactions,
- Respiratory: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Sinusitis,
- Musculoskeletal: Arthritis, Injuries, Fibromyalgia, Sciatica, Back & Neck Pain
- Hormonal: PMS, Menopause symptoms, Hot Flashes, Fibroids, Mood swings, Irritability, Chronic fatigue, Thyroid
- Gastrointestinal: Indigestion, Nausea, Gastritis, Ulcers, Irritable Bowel, Diarrhea, Constipation, Food Allergies
- Cardiovascular: High Blood Pressure, Anemia, Palpitations
- Emotional And Mental Stress: Anxiety, Depression, Phobias, Grief, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Animals: Very effective in treatment of all animals such as; Trauma, Injuries, Illness, Nervousness, Aggression, etc.
And so much more…
Should Other Treatments Be Stopped?
Homeopathy is very integrative with most other modes of treatment. In most cases, homeopathy can be used along with conventional medicine to safely speed healing and facilitate the general well being of the patient. Always notify your homeopath of any/all medications you are taking.
Things One Should Know
- Before taking a homoeopathic medicine, always read the lab and follow the directions give on the pack.
- Avoid eating, drinking, smoking or using toothpaste for 20 minutes before and after taking a homoeopathic medicine.
- Keep all medicines out of reach of children, in a locked medicine cabinet if possible.
- If your symptoms do not go away, or are severe, always consult your doctor.
Although homeopathy has been practiced for more than two hundred years, it is still in its early period of growth. It is probably the most difficult medical discipline to master because it is based on the pure observation of nature, and the strict application of a natural law. Today, with the general disillusionment with conventional medicine, homeopathy is beginning to bloom again and spread throughout the world. Many people find homeopathic medicines to be more efficient in restoring health since it optimizes the extraordinary innate self-healing powers of the organism.